Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What is FLAVOR PICNIC?

I'm a little new to this thing called blogging and to be honest, I'm still trying to figure out this new medium out. Before I begin, I want to put it out there that there are things that this blog will be and things that it won't be. Since I was an English major with a penchant for comma splices and the occasional sentence fragment, I need to explain to my blog-audience that I'm a habitually bad self-editor and therefore this blog will not be grammatically perfect; it will be entertaining but it won't be perfect.

However, despite my bad grammar, what I hope FLAVOR PICNIC will be is a smorgasbord of food writing in a wide-variety of forms and mediums. My goal with FLAVOR PICNIC is to develop my professional writing voice while not loosing myself. I want to be able to experiment with many different kinds of food writing and so you may not always see consistency in the format of my posts. In addition to a newly found love of food photography that I will share snippets of on this blog, I hope to be able to write on many food topics: cookbook reviews; recipe ideas and inspirations that will show how one ingredient can be used in a number of ways; love letters to my hero Mark Bittman; PICNIC menus; pros and cons of different food equipment; restaurant and food product reviews; and ways in which food has changed our culture. Hopefully by using my skills as a researcher, I can learn and begin to communicate and teach my blog-readers about the roots of the food that we eat everyday without thought.

I realize these are lofty ideas but I hope that with time and patience from those of you who will hopefully become my faithful readers, I can hone my skills and carve out a voice for myself. Thank you for reading and Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. I feel honoured (Canadian/English version of the spelling, can't seem to kick the habit) to be your first official follower of what sounds like a very ambitious project! I guess that since I am your father and have a biased opinion of your writing and photographic skills, maybe that doesn't count for much. But nonetheless, I am looking forward to being a faithful follower and reading each blog entry religiously. I expect to be entertained and informed as a fellow foodie!

    I have been so proud of your writing and photos on your first blog (for those who are not aware: it is called "Do chef coats come in Tiffany blue?"). I have found it to be informative, funny and entertaining. However, the most enjoyable part for me reading it, is that the blog illustrates your personality perfectly. I wish you luck in this new blog endeavour which I understand will be a more serious undertaking. I do hope that even though you are going to be writing in a variety of forms, branching out into several different subjects, doing more research, etc. that each blog will retain your enthusiastic and sometimes sassy approach to food journalism.

    Big HUGS,

    DAD

    ReplyDelete