Friday, April 30, 2010

The Survival Series -- The Knives I Couldn't Live Without

The other night I got to thinking, what would happen if I were stranded on a deserted island? Naturally, because my life revolves around my kitchen, I was instantly struck with a fear like no other – what would I do without my favourite kitchen tools?! So that got me thinking, what gadgets could I not live without in my kitchen and what gadgets are just the kitchen’s lipstick? Since I am the kind of lady who does not buy heaps of shoes or makeup or clothes but instead buys kitchen things, going through my survival list could take a long while. As such, I’m going to post a series of entries called ‘The Survival Series’ and divide the information into sections beginning with knives and then moving on weekly to other topics such as cookware, gadgets, electrics and specialty tools.

Personally, I believe heartily in the idea that a good knife can take you far in life. In my opinion, humble as it may be, there are three knives that can get you through most culinary situation you may find yourself in. They are: a small paring knife (three and a half inches or so), a large chef knife (don’t be scared, buy an eight inch and use it like you mean it), and a serrated knife of some form and a decent size (for me this knife is a bread knife). Though my cutlery collection is supplemented with a few other styles of knives, I have found that with these three basic knives, you can do most things in the kitchen.

Having worked in a cooking store for a number of years, I can tell you with a little street cred what a good knife is and what a bad knife is but I’d rather not endorse any company but rather just tell you the knives I think are must haves. Though I personally use Wusthof and Global knives, I’m really not sure how important a brand is when buying the knives because to me, more important than looks and brand name is how the knife feels in your hand. Get one that fits like a glove and spend a little money on it. If you take care of your knives, they will last you for years and years. And one last thought, don’t forget about the sharpening. It is easier to maintain a sharp knife than to sharpen a dull knife so make sure you learn how to use your sharpening steel (yes, that thing that looks like a sword is what you need to maintain your knife’s edge) and find a reliable person to hand sharpen your knives when they are dull. Of course this topic could be a whole other post, but the point is, to make sure that you take care of your knives. If you spend a lot of money on them, they are an investment, and they should be treated with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment